Omega 3 Index Plus
More Info on the Omega-3 Index Tests we offer and why it matters.
- The Omega-3 Index is a measure of the most important omega-3s—EPA and DHA—in your blood.
- These important nutrients are present in every cell membrane in your body, which means they are also found in your heart, brain, eyes, muscle, blood vessels, organs and tissues.
- Their purpose is to respond to inflammatory events and help the cells (and you!) stay healthy.
- Hundreds of studies have demonstrated that having an Omega-3 Index of 8% or higher offers significant protection from health outcomes like dying from heart disease, poor cognitive health, anxiety and depression, muscle soreness and joint pain, dry eyes and much more.
- One study showed that the Omega-3 Index was actually a better predictor of risk of death from heart disease vs. cholesterol.
This test will help you assess what your fatty acid levels and trans fats levels are at currently. Fatty acids such as Omega-3 and Omega-6 are a key role in our over health as well as important factors in cardiovascular risks. Testing your Omega-3 index Plus will show you a view of your dietary intake of Omega-3's and the optimal ranges.
This test will also show you what your ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 and AA:EPA. Many individuals have too high of a ratio which can lead to higher risk of cardiovascular disease. The best way to lower these ratios is to consume more Omega-s fatty acids. Raising your intake of EPA & DHA either from supplements or seafood will help increase your Omega-3 index and decrease your Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio and the AA:EPA ratio. It may only typically take a few days for the Omega-6 to Omega-3 and the AA:EPA ratios to start decreasing after a diet change however, for retesting, it is suggested to wait 3 to 4 months so that the fatty acids in your body have a chance to stabilize.
Trans Fat Index: Trans fatty acids (Trans fats) come from the food we eat. Our body does not make or produce trans fats like it can saturated and mono-unsaturated fats. Dietary changes will help lower your Trans Fat index over time. The suggested retest time for your Trans Fat index is every 6 to 12 months.
This test kit will be mailed to you via USPS. You will receive a blood spot card as well as other materials in the test kit. Please review all instructions prior to performing this test. Kits should be shipped via USPS back to the laboratory in the enclosed packaging. Results take 1 to 2 weeks upon receipt of the specimen by the laboratory.