Cold, Flu, and Covid: What can I do to stay healthier?
Surviving Weak Immune System season!
Have you ever stopped to notice that Flu, Cold and now Covid season gets significantly worse during what I call “Winter Sugar Season”? Starting in October, we have Halloween, Then Thanksgiving, followed up by Christmas, New Years, Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, and finally ending with Easter, during this time it’s excess quantities of alcohol (super refined sugar), sugar and sweets. With the onset of winter, our vitamin D levels start to drop. The combination of increase sugar intake and decreased Vitamin D levels is a double whammy to proper immune function. So instead of thinking we have a “Flu and Cold” season, we should start thinking we have a “Weak Immune System” season and what can I do about it to decrease my risk of illness?
The answer is, “the best defense against illness is a great offense!” So let’s talk about things we can do to strengthen our immune system to help reduce our risk of illness.
We should use this time to strengthen our immune system and survive this “season” through proper nutrition and getting enough sleep and exercise. Holistic nutrition, after all, is not just a diet but a way of life, so I want to discuss how we can all use this approach to boost our health and immune system, with easy to do steps.
We should always start with the most important aspect of being healthy - healthy foods. Healthiest food is organically raised, unrefined, and unprocessed, leaving all its nutrients intact. Whole nutrient complexes from fresh, organic, whole food help cleanse the body of toxins, which in turn helps prevent disease and allows the cells to function and regenerate correctly. But we can’t always get organic food, so I recommend the “Good, Better, Best” approach. Good foods would be frozen unprocessed foods - frozen vegetables, frozen meats, etc. Better foods would be fresh fruits, vegetables, meats and healthy fats. Of course best is organic foods and described above.
Next is what can I snack on? Healthy, whole foods, right? Any food that’s worth eating provides good nutrition and makes a great snack. Organic fruits and vegetables; organically raised chicken, grass-fed beef, and fish; raw milk cheese and cultured products such as yogurt, kefir, or buttermilk; low-temp roasted nuts. The list goes on and on.
Get the junk food out of the house & Leave Junk Food in the store!
Best why to transition to healthier foods is to meal plan, develop shopping list and ONLY purchase items on list! Leave the junk food and processed foods in the store. If junk is not in the house, you can’t eat! So if you “will power” weakness, you already have your back up plan in place. No more chips on your grocery list! Next, you start by removing white bread, white rice, pizza, pasta, and pastries. These so called “foods” need to go so that you can reduce your intake of refined simple carbs which increase glucose levels in the blood—a great way to gain weight and weakening your immune system! Why risk obesity, insulin resistance, and other cardio-metabolic disorders when instead I can health delicious foods that boost my immune system and overall health?
Stop the Sugars and Sweets
Sugar and sweets are just plain poison! Check out just the short list items on why we want to reduce blood sugar levels!
- Sugar can suppress the immune system.
- Sugar upsets the mineral relationships in the body.
- Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.
- Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
- Sugar contributes to the reduction in defense against bacterial infection (infectious diseases).
- Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function; the more sugar you eat the more elasticity and function you lose.
- Number six really surprised me. Refined sugar = FLAB!
Research teaches us that refined carbohydrates, sweets, and sugar are associated with increased cardiovascular disease. There are links between high sugar intake and inflammation. Chronic, low-grade inflammation is a key factor of cardiovascular disease because sugar intake increases fat production, fat deposition on the belly, and blood lipids.
Soft drinks, cookies, and candies have no nutritional value, so off the grocery list they go!
Generally, the ideal amount of sleep for adults is seven to nine hours a day. But in reality, optimal sleep is not the same for each one of us. We have to make sure that we sleep enough but not too much. When I started to enforce a disciplined wakeup and bedtime you will became more productive. Things I use to help improve quality of sleep are : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MPRbX7ACh8&t=1368s and / or VOXX REM patches
Hydration is one of the key factors in maintaining homeostasis. Our bodies are more or less composed of 50 percent fluids. We need these fluids to help our bodies perform hemodynamic functions, thermoregulation, and various other tasks across the body’s different systems.
Without water, we would shut down in just a few days. Undoubtedly, water is the most vital nutrient.
This is not just what I recommend to others, this is what I have on hand at home and in office. Dr.T
Immuplex blends essential micronutrients and minerals as well as Protomorphogen™ and Cytosol™ extracts to support the immune system.*
Taken daily, supports a healthy immune system response function
- Helps maintain normal white blood cell activity already within a normal range
- Supports the body’s normal inflammatory response function as it relates to periodic challenges like consumption of a high-fat meal or strenuous activity
- Provides ingredients with antioxidant activity
- Excellent source of, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Chromium, Folate and vitamins A, B6, and B12 and antioxidant vitamins C and E
- Good source of Selenium
Vegetarian Immune System Health Packs are designed to provide support in two convenient daily vegetarian immune system supplement packs.*
- Supports specific aspects of immune system activity and contains research-supported ingredients such as EpiCor® and maitake and turkey tail mushrooms*
- At the suggested use of two packs per day, this product provides an excellent source of antioxidant vitamins A and C.
- Excellent source of vitamin D and zinc.*
Each box includes a 30-day supply of individual packs (taken morning and evening). Each pack contains:
- Epimune Complex (1 capsule) - a vegan immune system support supplement designed to help your immune system stand up to challenges. It helps support respiratory health.*
- Cataplex® D (1 tablet) - supports bone health, mineral absorption, the immune system, and cellular processes.
- Echinacea-C™ (1 tablet) - supports the immune system.*
Immune System Health Packs are designed to provide support in three convenient daily immune system supplement packs.*
- Excellent source of iron, zinc, copper, chromium, folate, iodine, and vitamins A, B6 and B12 and antioxidant vitamins C and E
- Good source of selenium
At the suggested use of three packs per day, this product provides an excellent source of calcium and a good source of magnesium.
Each box includes a 10-day supply of individual packs (taken 3 times a day). Each pack contains:
- Immuplex® (2 capsules) – a blend of essential micronutrients and minerals as well as Protomorphogen™ and Cytosol™ extracts to support the immune system.*
- Cataplex® F Tablets (2 tablets) - supports the body’s inflammatory response function as it relates to periodic challenges like consumption of high-fat foods or strenuous activity.
- Cataplex® C (3 tablets) - supports the immune system, skin and connective tissue, and bone health.
- Calcium Lactate (2 tablets) - Calcium Lactate supports absorption of calcium and magnesium.*
Echinacea Premium combines the roots of Echinacea angustifolia and Echinacea purpurea to enhance healthy immune system function.
Echinacea has been traditionally used in herbal preparations to:
- Help enhance healthy immune system function
- Support upper respiratory tract health
- Help relieve temporary mild throat discomfort associated with hoarseness, dry throat and irritants*
The blending of two plant species ensures that the specific caffeic acid derivatives (cichoric acid, echinacoside, cynarin) and the lipophilic components (especially alkylamides) are present in appropriate quantities. This product contains a total of 4.1 mg of alkylamides per tablet to ensure optimal strength and quality.